Monday, March 30, 2009

Restricitons for underage tanning

So tonight I was browsing through the Austin American Statesman Editorials when I came across something that striked me as absolutley pointless. In the editorial which can be found here, it talks about how state rep. Burt Solomons, R-Carrollton wants to add restrictions on using tanning salons for teenagers under 18. In the bill he is introducing teens under 18 would need to bring a doctor's note and have a parent present in order for them to get a tan. The current law that stands today is anyone under 16 needs to have a parent present and anyone under 13 needs a doctors note.

Solomon compared tanning salons with tabacco companies with quotes like "This is like big tobacco," and "These guys are basically luring teens in." which the author thought was a little harsh. Solomon also stated that he just wants to ensure that underage teens sit down with a doctor and learn about the risks of exposure to UV rays.

With approximatley 1300 tanning salons in Texas, and about only 58 in Austin. The number of tanning beds in Austin still outnumbers the 34 McDonald's and 32 Starbucks, which I found very surprising. Even though I would never step in one myself it seems they are pretty popular. But how many teenagers actually go to tanning salons? Diane Lucas, president of Palm Beach Tan estimates that teenagers make up about 5% of their business, which is really nothing. Therefore I don't see this as some urgent problem that must be fixed ASAP. The editorial sides itself with the legislature stating that their main concern should be for the welfare of the states teenagers. So it might be a small public health issue, but I'm sure there are bigger issues in Texas we could be focusing on. No matter how much I try I can't take this issue seriously, maybe it was the way Solomon was comparing tanning salons to tobacco companies... Come on, you can't be serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment