Monday, March 2, 2009

Would you like a to-go box?

So while I was scouting through the Austin American Statesman I came across an editorial discussing the bill by Sen. Patrick which can be found here. It would require doctors to describe the ultrasound images in detail and play an audible heartbeat of the soon to be, or not soon to be abortioned baby. That all depends on how much of an effect the mandatory guilt trip has on the pregnant mother. The author of the editorial expresses their disagreement with the bill and its purpose pretty much by just flat out criticizing it.

In Texas it is already required by abortion providers to MISINFORM women that having an abortion can lead to increased risk in breast cancer. Even though this has been proven to be FALSE. So first they want to feed you with lies, and if this bill passes, they will be able to pull out the big guns for this next part. Lets take a closer look and what exactly we can expect if this bill were to be passed. In the editorial it is stated that, " The physician must describe to the woman what the ultrasound shows, including dimensions, heart activity and limbs, and make the heartbeat audible." Added to that the doctor must also display the ultra sound images and present the printed material. Now if the woman chooses, she has the right to avert her eyes, but I guess she still has to listen to the doctor talk about it.

Now honestly, when I order a steak at a restaurant I have no interest at all as to how my steak ended up on my plate. Now in the back of my mind I'm sure it came from a cow bred in captivity that was brutally slaughtered and chopped to pieces, all done to soothe my own and many others' hungering appetites. But I don't want to think about that right before I eat it do I? And I have a feeling that when women go to get an abortion they sort of feel the same way. I have no doubt that they have a conscious and know exactly what they're doing. Is it really necessary to force feed them information which sole purpose is to make them feel like shit? Is this honestly the best thing we can think of in order to lower the number of abortions done in America? It would seem so in some Republicans mindsets. But hey, this world is already cruel, disgusting, and merciless enough so what the hell does it matter. It seems free will hardly means anything nowadays.

Towards the end the editorial it mentions that a couple democrats are working on a bill which would require schools to notify parents what their students are learning about sexual education. This would be another step forward to preventing teen pregnancies, which would only help prevent more abortions. This seems like a much more reasonable way to help prevent abortions, AND teen pregnancies too. Although I highly doubt that letting parents know what their kids are learning about sex is going to have a big impact on the problem, if you even see it as a problem, I still think it's better than the bill Sen. Patrick is trying to pass. Which seems about a step behind bagging the poor unlucky bastards afterwards in a take home baggie just in case the would-be mothers ever wanted to recall their abortion experience(s) later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment