Monday, April 20, 2009

I'll take a Jumbo Jack with cheese, and cut the Trans fat please.

I am all for having a healthy lifestyle and eating right. But I have to admit I really like heading to Jack in the Box sometimes after work and loading up on 12 tacos for a little more than six bucks. I would be greatly disappointed if this privilegde was taken away, because when you can eat whatever you want and can't break past 140 lbs, I could really care less about what I toss in my stomach.
So if this bill is passed it will be banning trans fat at Texas restaurants. Tex Report supports this bill as do I. Sure we all know Americans are known for their obesity, but after Ms. Batts busted out the percentages we get a clearer picture on just how serious it is. When I go out in public and I see these HUGE little kids who probably way more than me, I can't help but point and stare. And you know the kids aren't nutrition experts, so they don't fully understand that the eight happy meals they just consumed caused their toes to bust out of their sneakers. So it's the parents who should be watching what their kids eat. Well the percentage of obese adults is already over 50%, so that means most of the little(or huge) kids are shit out of luck, especially if their parents fall in that category. But then you know sometimes it's just in the genes, so some people can't help it or have to try extremely hard to avoid obesity.
So if this bill's goal is to help reduce Obesity in Texas, it will probably help a little. Although it is definitley not the ultimate solution to fighting obesity. I believe we will probably never see the end of obesity, maybe in 200 years when genetic engineering is like the new plastic surgery. Until then this bill will just have to do. Hats off to Ms. Batts for a well written and interesting commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment